Author Topic: Transitioning from desertcraft to bushcraft  (Read 1888 times)

Offline John Wells

• View Profile
Transitioning from desertcraft to bushcraft
« on: April 17, 2015, 05:17:32 PM »
Hi all,

This is my first post here.

I'm John.  I am from Ohio but have been working in Saudi Arabia the last few years.  While here I got heavy into oudoor activities like overland expeditions, hiking, and primatology.  I'm coming to Ohio in late June and will stay for about seven weeks.  My family is in in the Dayton Area as well as Scioto County.    Could anyone point me in some direction for camping that is off the path a little bit?  Also any other information that folks would be willing to share with me would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Scratch

• View Profile
Re: Transitioning from desertcraft to bushcraft
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 08:46:49 PM »
Welcome to the board John.

The list of backpack trails on BPO's main page is pretty much what we have here in Ohio.

http://www.backpackohio.com/

Anything except Zaleski can be called "off the beaten path", the backpacking trails are not used that much here in Ohio. Even if you go to the Z on the weekdays, you can go all day without seeing anyone.

If you are looking for the best backpacking trails in the area, frankly you should go south into the area around the Red River Gorge, the hiking trails there are much more extensive, the natural areas are wilder, the views are better.
"The trouble with the internet is the difficulty of ascertaining the truthfulness of the facts you read" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline John Wells

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 02:51:20 AM »
Thanks a million. 

I'm so excited to come back to Ohio.  Where I stay in Saudi Arabia is so polluted.  Even when I go climbing or hiking there is often trash blowing around.  Environmental cleanliness isn't really appreciated here.  Therefore I'm itching to surround myself in natural beauty.

I'll scroll the the website and make a tentative plan.

Thanks again

Offline Glenn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 10:35:04 PM »
When you're in Dayton, there's the Twin Valley Trail (part of the Metropark system) - not as "away" as the trails in SE Ohio, but it's not bad - it grows on me a little more every time I spend a night on the trail there.
I'm never sure whether I've got 35 years of backpacking experience, or one year's experience 35 times.