Author Topic: What is a good trail for our first overnight trip  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Ronnie James

• View Profile
What is a good trail for our first overnight trip
« on: May 13, 2015, 02:29:21 AM »
We initially thought to do the Buckeye Trail from Peninsula to Brecksville, but it's only 17.4 miles. Starting slightly farther, or going slightly longer isn't really an option because the trail doesn't go anywhere good outside of what we first planned. Are there any good trails to hike for a good overnight trip in Ohio?

Offline Scratch

• View Profile
Re: What is a good trail for our first overnight trip
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 10:02:32 AM »
Only 17.4 miles?

Before we can give you a recommendation, we need some more info on your Backpacking skill level. How much have you done, what is your general fitness level, do you need a trail with water and privies, are you taking kids?, etc.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:37:38 AM by Scratch »
"The trouble with the internet is the difficulty of ascertaining the truthfulness of the facts you read" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline silver_beetle

• View Profile
Re: What is a good trail for our first overnight trip
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 01:43:58 PM »
You could start farther south in Virgina Kendall Park and add a few miles, but 17 is a pretty good overnighter for your first trip. There are some sights to see along the way, so if 17 miles seemed easy to you, you could add some time by sightseeing. The Boston Store visitor's center is worth a trip, and the Trail Mix store sells goodies, including homemade energy bars that are among the best tasting things I have ever eaten.

Also, note that camping is not allowed along the BT in CVNP or in the Cleveland Metroparks. That's not to say it can't be done, just be aware. In all my years of hiking in CVNP, I have never seen a ranger on the trails.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein