Author Topic: Solo East Fork News (Awareness)  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Andrew Grachek

• View Profile
Solo East Fork News (Awareness)
« on: May 09, 2016, 10:45:46 PM »
http://local12.com/news/local/public-park-patrons-report-issues-of-being-followed-accosted-at-east-fork-park

Looks like I might cancel my overnight trip.  Any males here who have done this solo,  any issues?

Offline Scratch

• View Profile
Re: Solo East Fork News (Awareness)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 07:13:26 AM »
This parking lot cruising by men looking for other men is something that has been happening in the city parks here in Col for a long time. Occasionally someone gets outraged, they put some undercover cops out and bust a few people, then the cruising moves to some other park.

It isn't like these guys are going to accost people who don't want to join them. All you have to do is pull out your cell and start taking pictures if someone follows you - they will disappear.
"The trouble with the internet is the difficulty of ascertaining the truthfulness of the facts you read" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline OhioHiker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 11:56:14 AM »
Creepy. Too bad most OSP backpack trails seem iffy. I've never hiked one only because of the poor ratings they receive. 

Offline silver_beetle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 10:39:57 AM »
Creepy. Too bad most OSP backpack trails seem iffy. I've never hiked one only because of the poor ratings they receive.

How are they iffy?
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein

Offline Scratch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 11:53:01 AM »
I think he is talking about how the State Park B.P. trail are all shared to varying degrees with the horse trails. There have been some poor reviews posted here, mainly because the horse trails can end up muddy and fly-covered.
"The trouble with the internet is the difficulty of ascertaining the truthfulness of the facts you read" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline OhioHiker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 09:46:08 PM »
Scratch - exactly. Not saying they are bad trails all of the time.

Just wish Ohio had more dedicated BP trails in the ODNR State Park network.

Offline abprime

• Get Outside.
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 02:09:25 PM »
http://local12.com/news/local/public-park-patrons-report-issues-of-being-followed-accosted-at-east-fork-park

Looks like I might cancel my overnight trip.  Any males here who have done this solo,  any issues?

FWIW, I hiked the backpack trail and camped overnight at Camp 2 this past Tuesday, solo, and didn't see a single other person once I was on the trail, aside from At13, who came to meet up with me Weds. morning. There was a funny little lady in the trailhead parking lot with 2 dogs, picking a banjo (for real)... but she was quite pleasant. 
"The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot forever fence it out." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline At13

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 10:00:29 PM »
I hadn't seen this thread before. I have run into the type you are talking about at East Fork before. Mostly just sitting around in their cars in the picnic areas. Only once on the trails though. He was with his bicycle about 50 yds into a non bicycle trail. None of them have ever even talked to me however. Probably a good thing.
2013 AT thru hike turned into a section hike.