Author Topic: hiking in deer achery season?  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Sean M. Johns

• View Profile
hiking in deer achery season?
« on: September 26, 2016, 12:08:47 PM »
I'm am planning a trip to Zaleski , in mid Oct. Just wondering if I should be concerned. I'm also a hunter, but not on this trip. I probably should not worry about it. I would think most hunters would not be close to the backpacking trail. I know I wouldn't set up anywhere near a popular trail.

Offline abprime

• Get Outside.
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: hiking in deer achery season?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 12:20:08 PM »
Worried? I wouldn't say "worried." But caution is always wise. I've hiked at Zaleski during hunting season before, and never had any issues. One time, I did come across a trio of bow-hunters that had recently bagged a buck, and they had apparently dragged it onto the backpack trail for some reason which I didn't inquire about, and will never know... but they nodded, and I walked on by, offering them a brief congratulations as I passed. That was the end of my encounter with them.

I would agree with your thoughts that most hunters would steer clear of the trails, but depending on the density of foliage, it might be easy to not realize they're near a trail. But the constant noise (rather than the intermittent pattern of most animals) of a hiker's pace would hopefully tip off any hunter that you're a human, and not a deer.

A simple bright orange bandana, hat, strip of cloth, etc. would be a wise thing to bring along with you and have in plain sight while you hike.

I know it's not much, but I hope that helps a bit.
"The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot forever fence it out." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Scratch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 12:34:42 PM »
Sorry to tell you this, there are lots of bow hunters at Zaleski. It is not uncommon to see them hiking the backpack trails, to get back into some spot deep in the woods. You would hope they are aware of hikers and don't have the trails in back of their field of fire, but ...

So, I would wear bright clothing, at least a bright hat. Think about making noise as you hike - each time you top a hill, shouting out "hiker on the trail". Or maybe bring a music player, one of those little bluetooth speakers, and play songs on your phone while hiking. I would guess there is little chance to be hit, but it happens every year. According to this person, 18 incident reports for Bow Hunters in 2009, 55% were tree stand related. (I'm guessing it is possible  you can get hit by a hunter falling out of a tree).

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1371160

Here is a post where I talk about the tree stand just outside camp H (now camp3).

http://www.bpo-forum.com/forum/index.php/topic,1331.msg5136.html#msg5136
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:42:15 PM by Scratch »
"The trouble with the internet is the difficulty of ascertaining the truthfulness of the facts you read" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline At13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 11:46:08 PM »
While it's true that you should wear bright colors, it's also true that hunters have an amazing safety record. Thousands and thousands of hunters hunt every year, and many years have had NO fatalities. Compare those odds to walking the streets of Chicago.
2013 AT thru hike turned into a section hike.

Offline At13

• View Profile

Offline silver_beetle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 10:21:34 AM »
http://www.nssf.org/NewsRoom/releases/show.cfm?PR=120511.cfm&path=2011

Saw this on their site: "The National Shooting Sports Foundation is the trade association for the firearms industry." I'll leave that without comment.

Just looking at the raw numbers doesn't really tell the whole story. I look at it like plane vs. car crashes. You're far less likely to be in a plane crash than in a car crash, but far less likely to survive a plane crash than a car crash. Yes, getting shot by a hunter is less likely than getting in a car crash on the way to the trailhead, but chances you'll survive a gunshot wound in the backcountry are pretty slim. Wearing a blaze orange hat isn't a bad idea, though with bowhunters, I would think they'd be less likely to shoot you accidentally, since the range is so much less than with a shotgun or rifle, so they'd be less likely to misidentify their target.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein

Offline At13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 08:03:14 PM »
There is no rifle season for deer in Ohio. The range of the shotgun isn't much greater than a bow. I think hunters have an amazing safety record. It is a good idea to wear orange however