Author Topic: RIP Forum  (Read 1091 times)

Offline BPO

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BackpackOhio.com
RIP Forum
« on: January 02, 2017, 11:56:38 PM »
First, we wish the best and happy trails to everyone as 2017 gets underway.

It has been clear for a while that this forum's expiration date was approaching. Interest in and use of this forum has been on a slow and steady decline for more than a year. Although I prefer this type of a platform for uses like trip planning, this type of a platform simply cannot compete with the various social media platforms so many people use frequently on a daily basis.

Soon, the BackpackOhio.com Facebook page will be upgraded to a Public Group so discussion can flow more freely between users, similar to using a forum like this. Once that occurs, this forum will eventually be taken offline. I will continue to use this forum to communicate planning for our Clifton Gorge hike and the spring outing in April. Anyone interested in attending either outing is encouraged to communicate via this forum as well. Most other correspondence, however, will be shifted to the Facebook page once it is upgraded.

I wish to thank everyone who has participated in the forum over the years and kept it going as long as it has. The forum ending doesn't mean our outings are going to. Those are too much fun and we'll keep them going as long as there is interest.   
I believe that there is a subtle magnetism in Nature, which, if we unconsciously yield to it, will direct us aright. ~Thoreau

Offline Scratch

• View Profile
Re: RIP Forum
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 05:32:43 PM »
Bummer. I know you have to pay for hosting this website, and with little use it doesn't make sense to keep spending on a website that has low number of users. But I didn't offer to help pay for it, and I don't think anyone else has either. Are you still going to be selling maps of the backpacking areas, or is that part of the website in decline too?

The organizational features of this forum are not done well in a facebook page. I guess you can do searches, but that is not as simple as the divisions the forum topics allowed with Simple Machines (the forum software). And I know the issues with viewing this forum with a smart phone, if the owners of the software didn't get that figured out, it will probably be dropped by most users.

I would suggest a free wordpress or blogger site, for planning the trips. The noise you get on a facebook page can make planning difficult.

Sad to see the old place go.
"The trouble with the internet is the difficulty of ascertaining the truthfulness of the facts you read" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BPO

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BackpackOhio.com
Re: RIP Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 10:55:48 PM »
The rest of the site will remain unchanged. eTrails PDFs will continue to be sold. Sales have not slowed down at all.

I tried to incorporate a new forum into the web site last winter when I moved the site over to Wordpress. It worked well on all devices but lacked some key functionality, or perhaps I was the one lacking--in programming skills. To go back now and attempt a second effort to launch a new forum would not be worth the effort IMHO. I just don't see it increasing in the number of users.

As mentioned, the current forum will be used through the spring outing, so I guess I have time to figure out how to plan the fall one.   
I believe that there is a subtle magnetism in Nature, which, if we unconsciously yield to it, will direct us aright. ~Thoreau